Main Club Sponsor

Below are articles featuring COLFC

City Talk ahead of Widnes Semi Final 13/3/17
City Talk with Conor Phillips 16/2/17
This is Anfield 16/2/17
When Saturday Comes 18/1/2017
Socrates 27/12/16
Sky Sports 16/12/16
Friday 18th November 2016
Brian Reade
Saturday 6th August 2016
Connor Phillips 29th July 2016
With Graham White 12/7/16
With Connor Phillips 29th July 2016
Paul Salt, Radio Merseyside 15/6/2016 9/6/16
Non League Paper - 9/6/15
4/5/16 French Football Magazine
dechalaca 21/4/2016 (South American Magazine)
NWCFL Podcast 8/4/16
New Manager Appointed 29/3/2016
17/2/2016 - 500 Members
Breakfast 2/10/2015
Italian Magazine 13/1/2016 - Copy & Paste into Google Translate
100 Things that made Liverpool great in 2015
Drivetime 17/11/2015
Podcast 8/12/2015
Spanish Football Magazine "Panenka" 30/1/2016 - Google Translate required
Tweets from City of Liverpool FC @CityofLpoolFC

Chadderton - Away - 6/8/2016

This is the match page for our game against Chadderton FC.


Below you will find details of our opponents and directions for travel if appropriate, plus once the game has been played we will also post the official match report & video.

Chadderton 1 COLFC 3

Match Report

History will show that the day of COLFCs first ever competitive fixture was also the first full day of competition at the 2016 Rio Olympics. And it was in Copacabana style weather that Simon Burton’s Adidas Samba warriors travelled across to east Manchester to take on Chadderton FC.


Before a ball was kicked Simon Burton faced his first dilemma of the day when the referee ruled his team couldn’t wear their normal white shorts as it clashed with the home team’s. Fortunately the home team secretary helpfully provided a spare set of Chadderton away kit shorts so the Purps took to the field in their first ever match in a strange combination of Purple shirt, black shorts with red trim (and Chadderton FC crest) and purple socks (bottom of the North West Counties Sartorial League already and they hadn’t even played a match).


For their part, the home side were resplendent in a completely plain, but for a Nike swoosh, bright red high collar shirt, white shirts and red shorts……very England 1966 and was that Bobby Moore lining up at the back for them too ? GULP !


So on this first day of what will be a season of many firsts, the first ever team to line up in a competitive game for COLFC looked like this.

1 – Ste Longrigg

2 – Chris Lester

3 – Declan Gregson

4 – Joe Camozzi

5 – Tony Dunne

6 – Allen Weston

7 – Todd Blayney

8 – Chris Dykes (Capt)

9 – Billy Webb

10 – Daley Woods

11 – Mike Smith


12 – Rob Abelwhite

14 – Nathan Martland

15- Ant Daniels

16 – Michael Chojnicki

17 – Sean Kelly


City kicked off defending the end of the ground where the clubhouse and most of the spectators were settled.


Kicking downhill towards what appeared to be a ski slope far end to the pitch. City were earliest to strike forcing a corner in the first minute. Chadderton cleared the danger well and inside a minute Camozzi was forced to clear a centre in his own box, corner to the home side. Longrigg gathers the corner a big boot down the field and suddenly Daley Woods breaks free to force ANOTHER corner, and we were only in the third minute.


In truth the start to the game was a bit frantic with both sides struggling to settle into a pattern, and this became apparent again when a Daniels pass and a beautiful turn by Woods put the dark destroyer clean through on goal with only the keeper to beat. However a last ditch sliding challenge from Bobby Moore (not his real name folks) gives us the fourth corner of the game.

It was from this corner that the 100 or so Purple Partisans who had braved the M62 traffic to witness this historic day got the moment they’d been waiting for. A short corner back to Smith who then spotted Allen Weston in acres of space on the edge of the box. The big defender, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Team GB rugby 7s forward Heather Fisher, picked his spot and tucked a first time effort low into the left hand side of the goal……1-0 COLs with just 8 minutes on the clock.


Boosted by the early lead the Partisans started up a chant of ‘its just like watching Brazil’……lets hope they meant the football team and not the ladies Rugby side who were around the same time being thrashed 29-0 by Allen, I mean Heather, and her cronies on the other side of the globe.


But their cheers were soon silenced when just three minutes later it was Chadderton’s turn to show themselves.


Great work on the left edge of City’s box and striker Vincent looked up to curl a world class effort around Longrigg into the top far corner 1-1.


The equaliser seemed to get the hosts into the game and the next fifteen minutes they controlled the game with neat passing in midfield and a series of balls out to both wings and a cross into the box that kept Dunne and Weston busy to clear on several occasions. Another cross on 21 minutes again found Vincent in the box but thankfully this time his header went wide, the visitors were definitely starting to struggle now after making such a promising start.


Then on 27 minutes the last in a succession of corners for the team in red resulted in a goalbound effort being headed off the line by Chris Lester. Straight up the other end went COLs with this time Webb seeing his shot cleared off the line by the West Ham Utd and England legend…..what a game this was turning into, great entertainment for the fans if not for the managers.


By this time Simon Burton had, had enough of his 3 man defence conceding crosses into the box and switched to a regular back four, with Lester moved back from midfield into his more familiar right back slot and Camozzi switching across to left back, pushing Gregson forward into midfield to make up a 4-4- 2 formation.


The change in tactics seemed to turn the game in City’s favour, as first Billy Webb found himself in after great work by Blayney and then Weston coming forward for yet another corner headed just over.


On 31 minutes the ever neat and tidy Michael Smith was fouled 20 yards from goal to force a free kick. The kick was worked wide and then back into a packed six yard area where Chris Dykes seemed to somehow loop a header up and over the keeper and into the back of the net…….2-1


Somewhere in Dublin a whole table of Guinness hit the floor as news of the second goal reached the Chairman and Secretary missing for the day on a stag do in Ireland’s fair city.


COLs were now starting to take control of the match and it was great footwork by Smith again as he wriggled past 2 defenders before seeming to be brought down by one of them, the ref turning down strong appeals for a penalty.


There was still time in the half for Woods to put the ball in the net on 43 minutes, only for the Justin Bieber lookalike assistant referee to rule it out correctly for offside (note to chairman, next time we get this kid doing one of our home games, change the banners to read ‘Reason to Beleiber’ and guaranteed to add an extra 1000 screaming schoolgirls to the gate).




The second half started pretty much the same as the first ended, with City on the front foot. Smith put in a low cross on 46 minutes only for it to be cleared for a corner. The corner then found its way to Dykes unmarked on the penalty spot but his shot went just over.


Then a mix-up at the back and Longrigg has to come racing out of his box, the striker beats him to the ball but fortunately his shot trickles wide of the far post, a let off there for the visitors and proof Chadderton weren’t ready to lie down just yet.


Two minutes later it was Chadderton’s keeper (looking unhappy in a bright yellow kit that showed off his manly curves a bit too much) that presented a gilt edged chance for Woods to continue the scoring streak that he had had in pre-season. A poor goal kick reached the striker who’s shot was well saved but bounced back to the feet of Woods. His second effort tamely creeping wide of an unguarded post.


Two more corners for COLs sandwiched another penalty shout, again turned down by the ref earning him a good natured chant of ‘You’re a b’stard Referee’ to the tune of ‘Oh My Darling Clementjne’ from the Partisans.


Another great interchange of passes sets Camozzi off on a marauding run into the box on the hour, his pass to Smith though ends with a comfortable save by the keeper from the resulting shot.


Simon then decided to make his first change of the game, bringing on Sean Kelly for Smith, the latter coming off to a well deserved round of applause from both sets of fans. A minute later and Burton decides to try and press home the advantage with a fresh striker, bringing on Abelwhite for Webb.


The substitutions give no let up for the home side though as a corner is poorly cleared by the keeper to Woods, the keeper is stranded and seems to decide he can’t be bothered getting back into position with the goal at the striker’s mercy, however the shot is weak as Woods strikes it whilst falling back and hits the post before being gathered by a relieved Superlambanana.


This is the last action of the game for Woods as he is replaced by Martland, too many chances being missed but he’s had another great game and on another day could have bagged a hat-trick.


With City now switching to a lone striker, Chadderton get an opportunity to break out of their own half. On 75 minutes Longrigg has to stretch to save at the feet of an incoming forward and he’s down feeling the groin that has been troubling him all pre-season. Lucy’s magic sponge works wonders (well it would work wonders on anyones groin, right fellas ?) and he’s soon up again, but after another back pass is cleared, it is obvious that the keeper is struggling and with all three substitutions already made this could be a problem for the Purps.


More pressure in front of the home keeper who is now having a torrid time from the Purple Partisans and he hits another poor clearance straight at Chris Dykes. Defenders and forwards all rush towards the ball, but the cool captain ignores all of them, to work himself into a shooting position and slot home into the empty net……3-1.


The COLs fans are now in unforgiving mood and sing ‘A snack, a snack, a snack a snackka snack’ to the poor keeper. But to be fair to him he doesn’t let it get to him and pulls off a terrific save with his legs from Abelwhite on 45 minutes.


There is just time for a long range effort to sail over Longrigg’s crossbar before the ref blows the final whistle and the Purps have the perfect start to the season.




A fantastic match, witnessed by at least 100 travelling fans in the biggest crowd of the day in the division of 168. COLs fans and players will have enjoyed their day out and this will be hopefully the start of many more to come.


A big thanks to Chadderton FC who were brilliant hosts, friendly and as helpful as you can be. They have a good passing team and will surely deserve better results than this in the future.

Our Opponents - Chadderton FC

Chadderton FC was originally formed in 1946 under the name of Burnley Lane Estate Juniors, who joined the Middleton Youth League and played on Parkway on the Parkway Estate.


In 1947, an Open Age team was also formed and both teams moved to Mill Brow and adopted the name Millbrow Football Club. They played at the side of the canal at Mills Hill and changed at the Rose of Lancaster Pub.


Later they moved to Broadway changing their name to North Chadderton Amateurs, and changed at the Chadderton Arms Pub.

The Club adopted its present name, Chadderton FC in 1957.


The Club started life in the Oldham Amateur League, winning the Challenge Cup in 1954/55.


The following season 1955/56, the Club joined the Manchester Amateur League and won the League Championship in their first season.

After winning the League Championship again in 1962/63, Chadderton then joined the Manchester League winning the Second Division title in their first season 1964/65 and gaining promotion to the First Division.


The Club won the League`s Murray Shield in 1965/66, their first season in Division One, and then the Div 1 League title in 1966/67.

1969/70 Chadderton FC won the Manchester League Gilgryst Cup


During the 1970`s the Clubs only honours came in the form of the Manchester Challenge Trophy which they won in 1971/72, but failed to retain it in the following season, finishing runners-up.


Chadderton made the step into a higher grade of football in 1980 when they joined the Lancashire Combination. The Club made a good start in this league, finishing runners-up in 1981/82.


In 1982, Chadderton became one of the founder members of the North West Counties Football League, following the merger of the Lancashire Combination and the Cheshire County League.


The Club gained promotion to Division One in 1989/90 after finishing third in the league, but were relegated the following season.
Promotion came once again in 1992/93 but, after failing to meet ground grading requirements, were relegated in 1998/99.


Chadderton`s proudest moments have come in seeing the progression of its former players, such as former England captain David Platt, Former Leeds United and Crystal Palace player, John Pemberton and Northern Ireland International, Steve Jones.

Former player Mike Ford forged a successful career in both codes of Rugby and Mark Owen of Take That also once pulled on the red shirt of Chadderton FC!


Off the field in 2007, the Club was the subject of a take-over by local businessmen Craig Halliwell and Tony Bhatti, the joint owners of The HB Property Group Limited (previously The Halliwell Bhatti Group) which is the parent company of the local property development company Hillstone Developments Limited.


The members of Chadderton voted overwhelmingly in October 2006 for the take-over to go ahead and after 10 long months the legalities were finally completed in August 2007.


In August 2009 Chadderton's association with The HB Property Group Limited was terminated and Chadderton Football Club reverted to a members club run by the people for the people.


In season 2014/15 Chadderton finished 14th in Division One of NWCFL.



Print Print | Sitemap
© City of Liverpool FC